5 Easy Ways to Sustainably Fight Climate Change
Happy World Environment Day!!
- If you didn't know it was a thing, you do now. And it's a pretty big day for the plant-based community, especially ours!
- We are super excited that so many people are continuously joining our mission to feed the people and planet with our plant-based meats and meals! Together, we are literally saving the planet with food!
- Many of our foodie friends find it hard to sustainably implement changes in their home and family that positively impact the planet.
- Good news is, if you've joined our community, you've already made an impact.
- But here are 7 other easy ways for you to fight climate change!
1. Start small. Start at home.
- You'd be surprised at how easy it is to be more environmentally friendly at home – without buying a thing.
- Many people believe that starting small means buying dryer balls or plant-based dish detergent. Others think they have to do something big like install solar panels on their house or build a greenhouse in their back yard.
- The truth is, there are plenty of small, free, sustainable ways to make a positive impact on the environment:
- - Keep the temperature stable in your home. None of that up and down stuff. If you have an automated thermostat, even better!
- - Use a laptop (if you don't already). Desktops use a lot more electricity and are constantly plugged in.
- - Stream movies through your TV, not your game console. Game consoles use up to 10 times more electricity than your TV.
- - Set your water heater to 120 degrees. Trust us (ahem, ladies). That's hot enough! lol
- - Listen to your parents! Turn off all lights when you don't need them or aren't in a room.
- - Compost! You absolutely do not need to buy anything to compost...no matter what you see on Google.
- - Hang dry some of your clothes. Honestly, if you haven't smelled hung dried sheets, you're missing out.
- There are tons more ways to be planet-friendlier for free, but we hope this list gets you started!!
2. Change how you travel.
No, we don't mean you have to bike to work every day if you live in a rural community...unless you just want to that is.
- Just like number 1 above, there are plenty of ways to reduce your carbon footprint by simply making some minor adjustments to how you get from one place to the next.
- And none of these ways even includes an electric car. 😉
- - Carpool whenever possible – basic, but still a cool idea. Plus carpooling reduces your carbon emissions by 4-5%...which makes it literally cooler.
- - Keep your tires plump – Low tire pressure impacts your gas mileage. Not in a good way.
- - Ditch the AC when possible – It draws more gas and energy, creating more carbon emissions.
- - Drive smarter – Excessively speeding up and braking is not only terrible for your car, but also the environment. Cruise control is your friend when you can use it. For all other times, make it a smooth ride.
- - Maintain your car well – Burning oil, smoking breaks, and holes in mufflers are even worse for the planet than just driving. Care for your car.
- - When at all possible, ditch the car – Walk, bike, scooter, skateboard. When it's logical to do so of course.
- See? We didn't mention anything that you can't easily do! Because what good is a tip if you can't implement it, right? Right.
3. Eat less meat.
Don't be mad. We had to include it! It's just who we are.
- Animal agriculture is accountable for upwards of 20% of the worlds greenhouse emissions. Not to mention deforestation.
- We're not saying to stop eating meat. You don't have to go vegan or even vegetarian to make a positive impact on the environment.
- You just need to make small changes. Like...
- - Buy fruits and vegetables from your local farmer's market.
- - Eliminate meat from your diet one day a week, or even one meal a week.
- - Reduce the amount of meat you eat at each meal by half.
- - Purchase locally sourced and grass-fed meats.
- - Try plant-based eating one week a month
- - Educate yourself on the effects of animal agriculture and meat consumption on our planet and your health.
- Try new plant-based foods, like Prime Roots offers! Easy peasy.
- Our community of foodies is inclusive. Even our Prime Roots team is composed of people who've adopted all kinds of eating lifestyles. Some include meat. Some don't. Either way, we're all here together. And if everyone made one small change and stuck with it, the world would be a much better place to live!
4. Stop creating so much waste!
Yeah, we said it. Humans are literally trashing the planet. You, us, everyone.
- Americans alone waste approximately 40% of the food they buy. First of all, that's a lot of money people are sending to the landfills. Secondly, it's completely unnecessary.
- There are plenty of easy ways to reduce your waste or use your waste in a way that benefits the planet and your pocketbook (or wallet, or whatever it is you carry these days).
- Check it out.
- - Plan your meals for each day or week. Unless you're actually feeding an army, don't cook for one.
- - Use leftovers to create an entirely new meal. It's a thing. Or, better yet, just eat the leftovers (We know that's not everyone's fave, but...)
- - Make a grocery list and stick to it. Don't buy more than you need. "If it's not on the list, it doesn't get bought" is a good rule of thumb.
- - Recycle. Yes, yes we did still have to include it. Oh, and rinse out your recyclables before chucking them in the recycling bin.
- - Compost. You can use the soil for your flower beds, greenhouse, or even indoor plants.
- - Freeze your food if you're not using it right away. Bread, fruit, vegetables, items that are perishable. Most things freeze relatively well.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle for the win!
5. Buy less stuff.
That means skip out on retail therapy and caving less to the very persuasive marketing tactics of brands you see on the internet.
- Americans are consumers. There's nothing wrong with buying stuff...if you need it. But we buy stuff just because.
- It's cool. It's trending. It's cute. It makes us feel better, happier. We rely on stuff for a lot of things we shouldn't. It up to us to change the conversation around consumerism. It's up to us to show up in our lives in a way that lets others know we stand for Planet A because there is not Planet B.
- Here are some simple ways to do just that!
- - Use reusable bags.
- - Shop slow fashion when you can or at least handmade.
- - If it comes in a glass jar, use the jar for something when you're done.
- - Choose high quality everything over cheaply made.
- - Barter with people.
- Most importantly don't get overwhelmed and quit. Remember, you don't need to do all the things to fight climate change. You just need to do one.
- We'd love to see your foodie face in our community! If you haven't joined our crew of mission-minded foodies, check out our Community page to learn more! It's free to join and comes with perks like rewards points that equal free food and invites to our exclusive online and in person events. Plus you'll be in the know when we offer freebies and giveaways.
- Thank you for saving the world with us!
Check out our FAQs for more info.
More questions? Contact us at Hello@PrimeRoots.com
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.