We’re pretty certain you know that plants aren’t just for eating!
- So while you’re off to a plant-based New Year, why not explore some DIY eco-friendly skincare options packed with the power of plants?!
- Plus, did you know that the production of skincare products is not regulated by the FDA? Manufacturers can put just about anything they want in the products you use on your body’s largest organ!
- The lack of government oversight leads to skincare companies regularly marketing products with ingredients that aren’t verifiably safe. Or worse, ingredients that are known to be health risks. Believe or not, many of your personal care products from hair care to shaving cream contains carcinogenic ingredients like formaldehyde, silica, mineral oils, and chromium.
- We don’t even want to mention how horrible most skincare products are for the environment.
- So there’s a lot to gain by mixing up your own plant-based skincare products at home! It’s safer for you and the planet.
- Plus, it’s cheaper.
- Here are some easy plant-based skincare recipes using ingredients you probably already have at home!
- (Note: These are not all vegan but are plant-based)
Mattifying Kiwi Face Scrub
Nourish your skin and get your glow on with this homemade exfoliant! If you have sensitive skin, you may want to skip this recipe or replace the sugar with finely ground oats.
- - 2 Tsp of brown sugar (or finely ground oats)
- - 1 whole kiwi, peeled and mashed
- - A couple of drops of organic coconut, olive, or almond oil
- Blend all ingredients together until it makes a paste. Gently spread paste all over freshly cleansed face and neck for 3-5 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
DIY Face Wash for all skin types
Forget overpriced department store facial cleansers! Really. We mean it.
- You absolutely do not need to spend $30 for a “high-quality” facial cleanser. You can spend $5 and have everything you need for a plant-based DIY face wash that’s better for your skin and better for the environment!
- Try this one from Don’t Mess With Mama!
- - 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
- - 3/4 cup cooled organic brewed chamomile tea
- - 1/2 tsp organic almond oil
- - 3-4 drops vitamin E oil
- - 8 drops Frankincense essential oil
- - 8 drops Lavender essential oil
- In a foaming soap bottle, add all ingredients together and shake well. Apply a couple of pumps to your hands and massage into wet face for about 1 minute. Rinse with warm water and pat face dry. Use as needed!
Rose Water Facial Toner
Rose water is hydrating, smells lovely, and is great for all skin types. It can also help balance the pH in your skin. This recipe is super easy to make in small batches or in one big batch since the ingredients are inexpensive and easy to double, triple, or quadruple!
- - 1 Tbs Witch Hazel (alcohol free)
- - 1 Tsp Fresh lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a spray bottle and mist onto face after cleansing. Let dry before applying moisturizer.
Homemade Natural Lip Scrub
There’s nothing worse than dry, cracked, and peeling lips. Especially in the winter! Good thing you probably have everything you need to mix up a quick and easy plant-based lip scrub of your own without spending big bucks on ingredients you can’t pronounce!
- - 1 Tbs organic coconut oil
- Note: Be sure to use solid coconut oil, not the liquid kind. If yours has melted due to house temps, stick in the fridge until it solidifies!
- Mix all ingredients together in a small jar (baby food jars are great for this). You can use a baby toothbrush or even a toothbrush you no longer use to massage a dollop of this scrub onto your lips and then rinse!
Kenyan Coffee Body Scrub
Take a tip from Oprah Magazine and whip up this quick vegan body scrub for all skin types. Plus, coffee is full of antioxidants that are great for your skin!
- Side note from Prime Roots: You don’t have to use Kenyan coffee for this recipe. Any organic coffee will do.
- - 1 cup finely ground Kenyan coffee
- - 1 cup organic brown sugar
- - 2 Tbs organic avocado oil
- - 2 Tbs organic and refined coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a jar. Apply in circular motions to the face, neck, or body. Rinse with lukewarm water (or in shower)!
Soothing Aloe Face Mask
Sometimes, especially during winter, your delicate face skin needs that extra boost of hydration to calm down the effects of harsh winter weather. This vegan face mask is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and hydrating.
- - 4 Tbs aloe vera juice or gel (pure aloe vera)
- Mix together almond milk and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add in the aloe vera. Apply mixture to your face and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
Detoxifying Rice Ginger Body Scrub
If coffee isn’t your thing, try this vegan body scrub from Good Housekeeping that will polish your dry flaky skin! Chances are you have all these ingredients at home, which makes this plant-based scrub one of our faves!
- - 1/2 cup ground rice (any kind will do)
- - 1 1/2 Tbs ground ginger
- Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Apply in a circular motion to whole body or just areas that need exfoliation. After a few minutes, your skin will be polished, smooth, and detoxed!
DIY One-Ingredient Eye “Creams”
Ditch those $100 pots of miracle eye creams! Nature provides all the miracle your eyes need for just a few bucks! Science says so! Try these one ingredientvegan solutions instead to reduce puffiness and hydrate your delicate under eye and lid areas.
- - Organic, cold pressed coconut oil
- Open up your cabinets and see what you’ve got!
DIY Dry Shampoo Spray
We know this isn’t technically a skincare product, even though it does get on your scalp, but we couldn’t leave your hair hangin’ out to dry! This vegan dry shampoo spray is perfect for oily hair, post gym hair, or hair that just doesn’t smell fresh and clean in between washings!
- We’re pretty big fans of using less water and going longer periods of time without having to wash, dry, and style!
- - 2 Tbs arrowroot powder (or cocoa powder if you have darker hair)
- - 4 drops lavender essential oil
- - 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in an 8 oz glass spray bottle and shake well. To apply, shake well first and then spray a few inches away from roots and oily areas of hair. Do not soak the hair. Air dry or blow dry and brush out any left over dry shampoo!
- Look at that! You’re all set with everything you need to care for your face, hair, and body without purchasing high priced items with ingredients you can’t pronounce, manufactured in countries that aren’t your own. These plant-based personal care recipes are sure to be more environmentally friendly and healthier than store bought ones.
- Sometimes nourishing people and planet is about more than food. If you’re headed on a planet-friendly, plant-based path this New Year, try out some of these recipes while you’re nom nom-ing on your delicious Prime Roots meats and meals!
- Need some more guidance? Are you a new plant based foodie on the hunt for yummy recipes? Check out all the resources in our Facebook group of inclusive foodies, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat! We’re always happy to help out!