Got Bacon? The Sort of Science Behind Your Bacon Obsession
Let’s talk bacon! Who doesn’t love bacon, right?! If you didn’t, you probably wouldn’t be reading this.
- The obsession with bacon in America skyrocketed in the 90’s when the shift from low calorie and low fat diets to less restrictive eating plans took place. And the bacon love has remained strong ever since! As a matter of fact, it’s grown!
- Our country offers bacon wrapped and bacon topped everything. Popsicles, ice cream, burgers, pickles, donuts. Bacon wrapped bacon is even a thing. You name it, and bacon can be added.
- But, honestly, bacon is just as bad for you and the planet as cigarettes! Our lust for this unsustainable meat, however delicious, is contributing to our bad health in more ways than one.
- So what on Earth is it that makes bacon one of the most popular meats in America? Why do we crave it? (We know you do!)
Umami - A little word with big flavor
Why is bacon so yummy, and why does the smell of it make you salivate like Pavlov’s dogs?
- Umami means “essence of deliciousness” in Japanese. This weird little word is the primary flavor of meat! If you love bread, beer, cheese and, of course, meat, then you already love umami.
- Not a fan of some of those things? What about broths, gravies, fermented foods, tomatoes, mushrooms, fish, shellfish, or soy sauce? Yep, umami is in those as well.
- Described as savory, rich and delicious, umami is the flavor you crave when you just gotta have the bacon! The theory behind the craving is that umami tricks our bodies into craving bacteria. (Ewwww, right?)
- Not really.
- We’re talking good bacteria. Food that is heavy with good bacteria is an important part of our gut health and, hence, our immunity. Plus, you eat foods that contain bacteria every single day without even knowing it!
- Soooooooo. Woo hoo! Bacon = umami = good for you, right? Wrong.
Bacon - the meaty truth
- People tend to think of bacon as a high-quality, fresh cut of meat similar to pork chops or steaks.
- News flash: It’s not!
- Bacon is cut from the pork belly and then goes through a yucky process of curing, smoking, and salting. Your bacon is less like a T-bone and more like a hot dog when it hits your sizzling hot pan.
- Full of nitrates and carcinogens. Minus the healthy bacteria.
- That’s right. Bacon has been proven to contain carcinogens that cause cancer. In fact, red meat is directly linked to stomach, pancreatic, prostate, and colon cancers!
- Bacon is high in bad fats, cholesterol, and sodium. Basically, it’s a cooked heart attack. And, while it does have some nutritional value, there are many other proteins that offer the same nutrition without the heart-clogging side effects.
- Environmentally, all animal-based proteins are terrible for the planet. Did you know that the Union of Concerned Scientists has listed meat-eating as one of the primary hazards facing the Earth?! Globally, meat production produces more greenhouse emissions than all the world’s transportation systems combined!
- What gives then? How can we curb our cravings without killing ourselves and the planet?
A Bacon-Lover’s Solution to Bacon
- Maybe you’ve tried turkey bacon? It doesn’t tend to taste like turkey or bacon, really. It doesn’t have the same texture as the real deal either. And it’s still as processed as your mama’s Spam burgers.
- But plant-based bacon is a different story. At least at Prime Roots it is.
- Our meatless bacon is made with 100% all-natural plant-based super protein koji. All the sizzling goodness of bacon without all the processed junk. (Real bacon texture included!)
- Prime Roots Plant-Based Bacon has more protein than...well, bacon. Plus prebiotic fiber, amino acids, and vitamin B12.
- You get all the meaty flavors and textures you’re familiar with while becoming healthier, not heart clogged. PLUS, our bacon is better for animals andthe planet!
- We create delicious meat alternatives made from 100% all-natural whole food proteins, without compromise, for meat lovers and plant lovers alike. That means you’ll never get products from us with artificial colors or flavors. No antibiotics. No hormones. No fillers. No cholesterol. Ever.
Aaaaaaand, the growth and harvesting of koji use up to 90% less land and water than many animal or other plant-based proteins. It’s a whole food protein that is completely sustainable and literally feeds the planet. Woo hoo!
- So that’s the scoop! Your craving for bacon is natural, even if the sizzling, crispy stuff isn’t. You can kick that craving to the curb with powerhouse plant-based proteins from Prime Roots!
Check out our FAQs for more info.
More questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.