How to Make an Impact on Earth Day: Eat More Bacon
Yep. We said that.
- Eat more bacon. But it's not what you think.
- We're not sure if you noticed or not, but we just launched the first full line of plant-based bacon in existence.
- And we did on Earth Day.
- Earth Day is the largest secular observance in the world marked by more than 1 billion people worldwide taking action against all the things that contribute to climate change. The fight for a cleaner environment that is habitable for future generations is more urgent an fervent than ever.
- One of the number one contributors of global warming is animal agriculture. And pig farming is not only the worst for animal cruelty, it's in the top third of highest pollutants of all animal agriculture.
- So we do want you to eat more bacon on Earth Day. Just not the kind that comes from pigs.
- Here's the low down on how harmful conventional bacon and pig farming really is for you, the pigs, and the planet.
Pigs are often mutilated.
Tails are removed to keep other pigs from biting them. Castration is performed to keep younger ones from reaching puberty. Babies often have their teeth removed to keep from biting their mothers when feeding. Rings are put through their noses to keep them from rooting.
- All to provide pork to humans.
- Guess what? No pigs are harmed in the making of our bacon. Vegan bacon for the win.
Pig manure is the main and direct environmental impact of pig farming.
Besides the fact that farmed pigs produce way more greenhouse gas emissions than they would were they left in the wild, their manure is pumped directly into lakes and lagoons. This pollutes the groundwater, negatively impacting other wildlife and the water used by surrounding towns and cities.
- Vegan bacon production doesn't do that.
- Oh yeah, and when the lakes and lagoons get too full? The manure is sprayed across surrounding neighborhoods. Yep, neighborhoods just like yours.
- Our plant-based bacon has zero negative impact on the environment! As a matter of fact, growing koji is good for the environment. And, of course, we grow and harvest a lot of it to make our umami rich bacon flavors!
Pork consumption is literally killing people.
You think the reason we say bacon is unhealthy is because of the cholesterol and fat? Well, that's true. But have a look at four other life-threatening reasons pork should just be avoided:
- Many pork products contain Hepatitis E, which causes lethal health problems such as inflammatory heart disease, acute pancreatitis, liver disease or failure, blood disorders, and musculoskeletal problems. Particularly in pregnant or immunocompromised people.
- The devastating autoimmune disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), is a risk directly associated with pork consumption.
- Pork, bacon particularly, houses nitrates that literally cause cancer.
- A type of food poisoning called Yersinia is prevalent in undercooked pork. Yersinia causes bloody stools, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and has long term side effects.
- Yeah, just four more reasons we launched a whole line of plant-based bacon. It tastes, looks, feels, and smells like conventional bacon. Minus the pigs and health problems.
- Look. We totally understand your desire for bacon (obviously). That's why our first ever product launch was our plant-based bacon!
- And not to bash other vegan bacon brands, but who wants bacon made with carrots, coconut, eggplant, or rice paper?! Honestly, those plant bacons don't taste like bacon or curb your craving for bacon. And they're often hyper-processed and full of...well, fillers.
- Oh yeah, and there is zero protein or fiber in those other vegan bacons. Almost all of the nutrition from the vegetables is cooked out at high heats, and they're usually loaded with salt.
- Not to mention they don't look, smell, or feel like real bacon.
- Eating more plant-based bacon will make a positive impact on our planet. And what better day to do that than Earth Day, right? Right.
So go ahead! Eat more bacon! Ours. The kind with protein and fiber and a whole bunch of other good stuff your body will love!
- You can find our new yummy bacon flavors here. If you haven't joined our inclusive community of foodies yet, you should! It's free to join and now comes with rewards. You can learn all about that here!
Check out our FAQs for more info.
More questions? Contact us at Hello@PrimeRoots.com
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.