- There’s this quote I love. It’s from Margaret Mead.
“Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
With the climate crisis rapidly getting worse, it is more important now than ever to make small changes in our lives that have big impacts. It’s time to give more than we take so we can secure a future for our generation and generations to come.
- Every single human has the power to make one tiny change in their lives that serves the planet. Whether it’s using bamboo toothbrushes, conserving water, recycling, using dryer balls instead of dryer sheets, or eating one less meal with animal protein in it a day. You have the power to change the world.
- Collectively, the environmental impact of those small changes is huge.
- I created Prime Roots because I believe that we can nourish humans and the planet together. We can change the direction of the negative environmental impact we’re having on the earth while also fueling our bodies with yummy food!
The What: Reimagining Meat
I believe in creating an inclusive community where we create delicious plant-based food that everyone will love. Community is the most important aspect of our brand. We feel that everyone deserves access to high-quality, nutrient-dense foods that taste amazing!
- We want you to have the power to co-create with us! So whether you’re vegan, an omnivore, or anything in between, we’ve got you covered.
- Here at Prime Roots, we’re reimagining meat for people and planet using naturally grown and harvested super protein koji. Koji packs the flavor of umami that you find in bread, beer, cheese and meat! It’s the yummy “better than meat” meat.
- So we create plant-based meats and meals for the meat-lover’s cravings!
- I wanted to develop delicious 100% whole food plant-based meat alternatives that taste and feel like the conventional meats that everyone is familiar with. And that’s exactly what we’ve done here at Prime Roots!
- Our meats have more nutrition than animal proteins without compromising on flavor, quality, or texture. Production of our meats uses less water and land than traditional meats and also nourishes the earth.
The Why: I’m A Foodie
Growing up as the daughter of a famous chef and restaurateur, I’ve been a foodie and meat lover all my life. In college I discovered the true environmental costs of meat – from climate change and water pollution to deforestation and species extinction.
- I gradually realized that the single greatest positive impact we can have on the planet is eating less meat.
- This shocking discovery inspired me to scout for the best meat alternatives at my local grocery store. Most of the options were bland and lackluster. Ultra-processed and just underwhelming. Since then, being a microbiologist and fascinated by the big things you can’t see, I have been determined to combine love for the art and science of food to create meats that are truly without compromises in taste and texture.
- From a young age, I was fascinated by Koji. As I got older, I had a crazy thought to try using an ingredient typically reserved for Michelin star chefs as a whole food meat alternative. It’s packed with the meaty flavor you love and has more nutrients than traditional proteins. Through ancient techniques for modern times, Prime Roots is creating and re-imagining protein for a sustainable future – for plant-lovers and meat lovers alike.
The Impact: A Planet-full Mission
Prime Roots consists of a small group of committed people on a mission to feed nutrient-rich, high-quality whole food protein and plant-based meals to the masses. We endeavor to do our part to reverse the effects of climate change and create an inclusive community of foodies who want to join us on our planet-full mission!
- To highlight the impact the effects of consuming animal protein on the planet, we’ve compiled a short list of the impacts it has on the planet:
Globally, animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gases than all the world’s transportation systems combined. (PETA)
- It takes approximately 2400 gallons of water to produce just one pound of meat.Most of this water is waste water. (PETA)
Nearly 60% of the world’s land is used for beef production. Land that could be used to grow crops for more sustainable foods. (globalagriculture.org)
The two biggest reasons for deforestation are meat production and toilet paper.Deforestation contributes significantly to our current climate crisis. (Greenpeace)
There are simply better, more sustainable sources for protein and nutrition available to us! There is a projected population of 10 billion people worldwide by the year 2050, and our planet can not continue to provide everything we need to live if we continue to abuse it.
- I encourage you to be a part of our community and our mission to fight climate change through the power of food! You don’t have to “go vegan.” You don’t even have to be vegetarian! You can reduce your negative impact on our planet by decreasing your conventional meat consumption by just one meal a day.
- Prime Roots vows to always be empathetic and transparent. To educate our community on how cool it is to collectively eat less meat. We promise to always provide sustainable sources of meats and meals and to nurture our amazing community of foodies and our planet!
- All are welcome here!
- Love and health,
- Chief Prime Roots Foodie, Kim