Black-Eyed Pea & Bacon Slider Recipe
We could all use some healthy comfort food right about now! This creole-spiced black eyed pea & bacon slider is the perfect lunch to use all of those beans you have sitting in your pantry!
This slider also comes with a super delish spicy and smoky almond sauce to add some healthy fats to your meal.
- - 3 cup cooked black eyed peas
- - 1 1/4 cup of crimini mushrooms
- - 1/4 cup cassava flour
- - 1/4 diced yellow onion
- - 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil + 1 tbsp
- - 1 tsp creole seasoning
- - 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- - 1 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- - 1 1/2 tsp capers
- - 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- - 2 tbsp cilantro
Spicy Almond Sauce:
- - 1/2 cup slivered almonds, soaked for at least 3-4 hours in boiling hot water or 8 hours for cold water
- - 1 tbsp hot sauce
- - 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- - half small red bell pepper, smoked
- - 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- - 1/4 tsp salt
- - a few droplets of lime juice
- Soak almonds in boiling hot water for at least 3-4 hours. Alternatively, you can soak almonds in cold water overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. The mixture should be sticky enough to form into patties. If they are too moist, add more cassava flour or black eyed peas. If they're too dry, add more olive oil from sundried tomatoes. Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes.
- Scoop mixture and form into small or medium patties, setting them on the lined baking sheet at least 3 inches apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and back for another 10-15 minutes.
- If you'd like the burgers to be extra crispy, heat up 1-2 tbsp of a high smoke point oil (coconut oil, grapeseed oil, rice bran oil, or peanut oil) over medium-high heat in a frying pan. Add patties to frying pan and sear for a few minutes on each side.
- Prepare spicy almond sauce: lightly brush red bell pepper with olive oil and place directly over stovetop flame over medium-high heat to char skin. Turn frequently with tongs. Repeat on each side until all of skin is charred. Set aside to let cool.
- De-seed bell pepper and add to a food processor along with soaked almonds, hot sauce, almond milk, dijon mustard, salt, and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare Prime Roots bacon according to package instructions.
- Serve patties with buns, lettuce, tomato, Prime Roots bacon, and spicy almond sauce.
Check out our FAQs for more info.
More questions? Contact us at Hello@PrimeRoots.com
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.