- These maple bacon donuts are the perfect plant-based dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- It has every texture you could ever want in a dessert - chewy, crispy, soft, creamy, and silky with a sweet glaze. Made with Prime Roots Plant-Based Superprotein Bacon.
- - 1 cup oat milk, warmed to about 110°F
- - 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- - 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- - 2 tbsp apple sauce
- - 6 tablespoons vegan butter, melted and slightly cooled
- - 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- - 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- - 1 – 2 quarts vegetable oil
- - 3 Tablespoons vegan butter
- - 1/2 cup maple syrup
- - 1 and 3/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- - 1/8 teaspoon salt
- - 4 oz cooked Prime Roots Plant-Based Bacon, cut in half
1. Prepare the dough: Whisk the warm milk, yeast, and coconut sugar together in the bowl of your stand mixer. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the apple sauce, vegan butter, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat thoroughly until there are minimal lumps.
3. Add remaining flour and continue beating until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 2 minutes until you achieve a slightly sticky dough.
4. Knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes. Roll into a ball.
5. Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or nonstick spray. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise in a relatively warm environment for 1.5-2 hours or until double in size.
6. Shape Doughnuts: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release the air. Roll the dough out until it is 1/2 inch thick with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Use a donut cutter to shape into 12 doughnuts.
7. Pour vegetable oil into a large pot over medium heat. Heat oil to 375°F. Add 2-3 doughnuts at a time and cook for 1 minute on each side. Gently remove with a metal slotted spoon. Place fried doughnuts onto a cooling rack lined with thin paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts, then turn off heat.
8. Prepare the icing: in a small saucepan over low heat, melt the vegan butter and maple syrup together, whisking occasionally. Once the butter has melted, remove from heat and whisk in the sifted confectioners’ sugar and salt. Dip each doughnut into the icing.
9. Prepare Prime Roots Plant-Based Bacon
: in a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet, fry strips of bacon over medium-low heat. Flip every minute or so until desired crispness, about 7-10 minutes. Remove to let cool. Chop into bite-sized pieces. Gently press bacon slices on top of each.
10. Serve doughnuts immediately. You can also store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for an extra day, but first day is preferred.