The 7 Best Must Have Vegan Cookbooks for Beginners
- Are you on a plant-based eating journey? Maybe you started one with the New Year, New You theme floating around the internet. Or maybe you took part in the Veganuary challenge and you're ready to move forward in the plant life.
- But just maybe you're already tired of black beans, brown rice, cumin, and salsa. Tofu. Even lentils have you ready to give up.
- That's honestly one of the reasons we decided to not only create vegan meat, but also a huge variety of delicious and nutritious ready to eat plant-based meals.
- But we know you also like to cook. So here are our go-to vegan cookbooks for beginners. They'll help you create meals that are more exciting and less "I hate this."
1. Happy Vegan by Fearne Cotton
This cookbook is great for vegan and non-vegan eaters alike! And since Prime Roots is a team of inclusive foodies, we thought we'd supply you with a book that's inclusive!
- Fearne also spends a lot of time helping new plant-based foodies make or find the right food pantry staples to have on hand for plant-based cooking.
- Toni is the founder of Plant-Based On A Budget, a diet blog where she helps people break their meat habit without breaking the bank! She's been featured in Reader's Digest and is a regular guest on FOX News in Sacramento.
3. But I Could Never Go Vegan! by Kristy Turner
- We know. It's a long title. But it's totally worth the word space!
- Kristy doesn't just focus on the food in her amazing cookbook. It's also about compassionately guiding foodies who care about animal welfare but who also feel like they'd miss their honey, meat and dairy products.
- With funny book section titles like, "Not Soup Again!", "I'd Miss Pizza", and "Just Thinking About Salad Makes Me Yawn", you can't help but wanna try this book out!
4. Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee
We have to give mad props to Katie and Kate for their book, hey make vegan cooking fun and easy for beginner plant-based eaters and vegans from birth!
- Not to mention, you should have no problems pronouncing any of the ingredients in this book. You'll know what they are and where to find them if you don't already have them hangin' around your pantry!
- The point is you don't need pricey perishables and special ingredients to enjoy cooking – and eating – delicious vegan food!
- If you're looking for quick and easy plant-based meals, this is the book for you!
5. Sweet Potato Soul by Jenne Claiborne
Even vegan and vegetarian chefs recommend this book chock full of down home Southern cooking recipes!
- Everyone knows the Southern cooking isn't always the healthiest. Or really ever healthy. In Jenne's book, she gives you recipes with a vegan twist on everything from a decadent pound cake to black eyed peas.
- Many of these recipes are touted as tasting even better than the original versions! That's because Jenne is from Atlanta, and soul food is in her blood. She wasn't about to give it up when she decided to go vegan.
- Her easy Southern style vegan recipes are perfect for folks who still crave all the indulgent foods the South has to offer!
6. The Vegan Stoner Cookbook by Sarah Conrique
is a funny and lighthearted take on cheap, easy, filling, yummy vegan recipes.
- So easy a stoner can do it. Or your 5 year old.
- No, really. We're not kidding.
- These recipes are suuuuuuper simple. And freaking delicious.
- Foolproof recipes for beginners or those "I don't wanna cook" days? We think yes! Jenne believes it's not really cooking unless you're having fun. This idea is shown throughout the cookbook with funny (but appropriate) graphics – almost comic book style.
- Don't worry, though. There are also actual images to go with each recipe so you'll know if that almond milk you made is clumpy, you didn't do it right!
7. Rawsome Vegan Baking by Emily von Euw
Yep. You had to have known we weren't going to leave this list alone without including dessert!
- Even though all of the other cookbooks we've mentioned here do contain vegan desserts, we know that whether you are 100% vegan or a total omnivore, you absolutely will love the desserts in Emily's book,
- Plus, can we get a huge heck yeah for not actually having to bake anything?!
- And honestly, you'll be drooling on the image of each recipe before you ever finish making it. Because they look out of this world delish. Every single one of them.
- So go ahead. Squelch those sweet cravings. You're definitely allowed!
- We truly hope you are able to try one or all of these amazing cookbooks! It's so easy, as a beginning plant-based eater, to be overwhelmed with choices, decisions, and indecision. You're given a lot of information and you don't know what's right or wrong or if there's even a right or wrong at all.
- Trust us. We totally get it. That's why we want our favorite foodies to have the best, most up-to-date info on going vegan, vegetarian, or in any way plant-based.
- Have another great cookbook option that you've already tried? Let us know in the comments! And don't forget to grab some plant-based foodie inspiration from our free Facebook group, I Can't Believe It's Not Meat! You'll find resources, recipes, and a whole community of inclusive foodie friends!
Check out our FAQs for more info.
More questions? Contact us at Hello@PrimeRoots.com
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.