Middy Recipe: Tuna Tomato Poke
Sausage and egg burritos remind me of road trips and busy mornings. You get both of the flavors and tastes in this quick breakfast, but without the meat and the eggs. Feel free to substitute in leftovers for any of the ingredients or leave things out as you please.
Makes 2 servings
- >> 1/2lb cremini mushroom sliced
- >> 1 cup risotto rice (although any rice will work), washed and strained
- >> 1/2 cup white onion diced small
- >> 2 garlic cloves crushed
- >> 2tsp. turmeric powder
- >> 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- >> 2tbsp. Olive oil
- >> 1tsp of nutritional yeast
- >> Salt and pepper
- >> 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion or basil
- >> 2tbsp. cooking wine (optional)
- In a pot add oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion, cook until the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and let cook for few minutes until the alcohol has evaporated and then add the turmeric and mix well.
- Add in the mushroom and garlic, cook until the mushrooms are softened and slightly shrunken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add in the rice and mix well into mushroom mixture.
- Add turmeric into vegetable broth and mix well.
- Slowly add in 1 cup of the veggie broth, mix well and stir constantly to avoid rice sticking to the bottom of the pot, remember cook at low heat.
- When the water evaporates and gets incorporated into the rice, slowly add in an additional cup of stock and repeat until the rice is tender and not mushy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor and boost in B vitamins and top with green onion or basil based on personal preferences.